Notes from An Alien

~ Explorations In Reading, Writing & Publishing ~

Write A House ~ Quite A Deal


Virginia Woolf wrote A Room of One’s Own.

Write A House

Image courtesy of Loretta Humble ~ http://www.freeimages.com/profile/lhumble

What if you could write the story, A Home of One’s Own?

What if, instead of writing it, you could live-out that story?

There is that possibility

Some writers and urban activists in the city of Detroit, Michigan (USA) founded an organization in 2012 with one goal: use vocational training to renovate vacant homes and then give these homes to writers.

They’re called Write A House (WAH).

And, they don’t intend that their program be only for USA residents

They say this about their mission:

“Our key tactic involves leveraging the easy availability of distressed housing in order to promote vocational education, home ownership, neighborhood stabilization, and creative arts.”

Their Goal:

“WAH seeks to (1) educate youth on carpentry and building skills (2) use those skills to renovate Detroit city homes and (3) award those homes to writers. Like any literary community, writers will be awarded based on their writing and their desire to be here. WAH seeks to support low-income writers by awarding at least three homes each year. We will also publish a journal of arts and creative non-fiction to document the process, work to determine a sustainable and green approach to home renovation, and connect writers to support a more vibrant literary community in Detroit. Our long, long term goal involves building a literary colony in Detroit, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.”

So, basically, if you’re accepted for the residency program, you live in the house for two years (it will be “80% habitable”), finish the remaining 20% habitability and pay the insurance and property tax; then, you get the deed.

There are a few other writerly stipulations and you can check out the Whole Deal and Apply Here.

And, even if you don’t want to be a writer in Detroit, you can still DONATE Here.

One last statement from the organization:

“Through vocational training, we are giving kids job skills that will provide them with a self-sustaining future. Through home renovation, we are creating more stable and positive neighborhoods. Through our support of writers, we are creating a more vibrant literary arts scene in Detroit. And we’re giving writers homes.”

VIDEO, PLEASE :-)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To Leave A Comment, Use The Link At The Top-Right of The Post :-)
For Private Comments, Email: amzolt {at} gmail {dot} com
* Google Author Page

GRAB A FREE COPY of Notes from An Alien

5 responses to “Write A House ~ Quite A Deal

  1. Jane Watson May 6, 2014 at 8:14 pm

    I think this is an amazing idea and I hope the idea spreads over the planet. It just shows what people can do to help create stability, harmony and growth :-) This is a true win /win situation for everyone, those involved in the project and those affected by its ripples :-)

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Martina Sevecke-Pohlen May 7, 2014 at 3:06 am

    The idea of connecting vocationaltTraining with the building of a community is very appealing. Too often, vocational training courses try to make participants fit in and put them into serving positions where they never learn responsibility and self-esteem.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Pingback: Libraries Sponsoring Writers In Residence | Notes from An Alien

What Are *Your* Thoughts or Feelings?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.